For a quartet of activities – Fishing, Boat Rentals, Hiking and Camping at a mere 45 minute distance from Naperville/Aurora and a precious Covid-19 bonus – very sparse crowd!
How to Plan your visit?
• Hop in a car and set your GPS here.
• Pack the usual picnic gear – food, drinks, hand sanitizers, disinfecting wipes and so forth.
• Choose your hikes . The park is composed of 2 hikes mainly –
- Shabbona Lake Loop Trail – A 5.8 mile easy to moderate hike around the lake and the dogs are allowed too. See here for more details.
- Shabbona Lake State Park Trail – This is smaller loop trail spanning 2.6 miles. Dogs are allowed as well. We did this hike as we had several small kids and only had 1.5 hours to finish the hike. Thanks to our abysmal (and consistent) record of losing our way, this time I recorded our entire path via AllTrails app.
Here’s the full recording of our hike –https://www.alltrails.com/explore/recording/recording-jul-11-08-08-pm-9908279
Tip: Please don’t forget bug sprays, we were literally bathed in bug spray by the end of our hike.
Our Trip Details from Naperville
July 11, 2020
45 minutes drive from North Naperville
The Shabbona Lake Trail
The local vegetation was bustling with the summer usuals.
Here’s Black Eyed Susan (and not a weird Sunflower as I thought originally)
Do you think the dead trees look more resplendent than the living ones, sometimes?
The wide angle view of the trail.
A footage entailing the panoramic views of the trail which, coupled with the blathering of birds, made it very de-compressing.
Shabbona Lake Pier
All set and no-where to go.
The boat rentals was closed due to ‘You-Know-Who’
THE SHABBONA LAKE
Capping off the day with a climb.
Interested in Hiking options around Naperville? Please check other hiking locations here.
Please ink in the comments section to share your thoughts on this post or your own Shabbona Lake ideas!